Thursday, September 22, 2005

What?! I'm supposed to WORK here???

The last two weeks have stretched for miles. I've been in Ouaga with my fellow stagiares enjoying the wonders of pizza and flush toilets and cramming our brains for the coming school year. My French has improved a bit and I've learned the ins and outs of discipline in the Burkina school system, but I'm still nervous. But I think that's understandable. School starts October 3, I believe, but that's not a guarantee. I'll be teaching two math classes and one physical science class. It's about at higher middle school/lower high school level with 50-120 kids per class. I've got a couple secondary projects in mind (a library and a simple lab setup), but I'm nervous that writing lesson plans in French will take up all my time. It's so strange, I've been sitting on my ass doing nothing all summer and now I'm stepping to the edge of this abyss. At least it seems like that to me. I've never had so much responsibility in my life. And now I'll be carving out a place in 200 little brains. Kinda unnerving, but I have a great support system. My new boss is absolutely amazing. Her hard work is keeping me motivated to make her proud. And the fellow education volunteers (there's only 20 of us now in Burkina) are all incredible.

I'll be back in Ouaga next month to help celebrate the new swearing-in of the newest Burkina volunteers, so I imagine that's when you'll hear from me next.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home